What To Eat After Getting Your Teeth Whitened
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures. Your tooth enamel gradually dulls and develops a yellow tint over time due to the foods and beverages you consume as well as a general thinning of the enamel due to age. Professional whitening treatments can remove stains and whiten your teeth to give you a brighter smile.
After whitening treatment you want to keep your teeth looking white for as long as possible, but eating and drinking certain things may ruin your results. Your teeth may also be a little extra sensitive. Here’s what to eat after getting your teeth whitened and what not to eat.
Foods and Beverages That Are Safe After Teeth Whitening
The following foods and beverages are best after teeth whitening to keep your teeth looking white:
- Clear juice
- Sparkling water
- Milk substitutes
- Clear alcohol
- White wine
- Clear soft drinks
- White rice
- White bread
- White pasta
- White cheese
- White yogurt
- Light colored fruits and vegetables
You probably noticed a color theme with these foods and beverages. Anything white is good to eat or drink if you want to maintain your results.
Foods and Beverages to Avoid
It is best to avoid the following foods and beverages if you want to maintain your teeth whitening results:
- Red wine
- Red grape juice
- Dark colored soft drinks
- Bright colored soft drinks
- Colored drinks like kool aid or fruit punch
- Sports drinks with dyes
- Energy drinks
- Candy with artificial dyes
- Chocolate, especially dark chocolate
- Tomato sauce
- Soy sauce
- Dark colored berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, pomegranates)
- Foods with artificial dyes
Some foods and beverages contain natural teeth staining ingredients, but artificial coloring is even more likely to stain your teeth. Extremely hot or cold foods and beverages may also cause sensitivity after whitening treatment.
What if I Can’t Avoid These Foods and Beverages?
If you feel like certain items on the list of foods and beverages to avoid will be too difficult for you to live without, the next best thing is to clean your teeth immediately after consumption. At the very least, rinse your mouth out with water after eating or drinking. If possible, brush your teeth immediately after you eat or drink something that could stain your teeth.
Additional Tips For Keeping Your Teeth White
In addition to mindful eating and drinking, there are other ways to prolong your teeth whitening results:
- Avoid smoking. Smoking is known to stain teeth a yellow or brown color over time. Avoiding smoking altogether will help you keep your teeth whiter, not to mention healthier.
- Avoid chewing tobacco. Chewing tobacco tends to stain the teeth yellow or brown. It also contributes to poor oral health.
- Keep your teeth clean. Brush your teeth at least twice a day to remove plaque and keep your tooth enamel strong. When plaque builds up on the teeth it attracts stains. And as your enamel weakens and thins it appears more yellow.
- Go to the dentist every 6 months. Have your teeth professionally cleaned every 6 months by your dentist. This can help remove plaque and stains.
- Get an at-home touch-up kit. Some teeth whitening treatments come with a touch-up kit to use at home between in-office treatments. If not, ask your dentist to recommend a product for use at home.
Where Can I Get Teeth Whitening Treatment?
If you want a whiter smile, Queens Crown Dental provides teeth whitening treatment. We offer both in-office and take-home whitening treatments so you can choose which option you would prefer. Both treatments are effective and offer long lasting results.
Call 808-526-2800 or contact us today to learn more and schedule an appointment.
Why Professional Teeth Whitening Is Worth It
Would you like to have a whiter smile? It's normal for teeth to become discolored over time, often developing a yellow tint that can make them look dull. If this has happened to your teeth, you may wonder what’s the best way to whiten them.
There are a wide variety of whitening products available in stores and online that promise to give you a whiter smile. There are also professional teeth whitening treatments your dentist can provide. When comparing the two, you’ll notice that professional teeth whitening costs more. But it is worth the cost for many reasons.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
There are many benefits of professional teeth whitening treatment:
- Effective. Whitening products available in stores and online, such as toothpastes and strips, may whiten your teeth a shade or two, but most likely won’t give you noticeable results. Professional teeth whitening treatments that are provided by your dentist can give you a significantly whiter smile you’ll see right away.
- Lasting results. The results of professional teeth whitening treatment can last anywhere from 1-3 years on average, and even longer with regular touch-ups at home. Over the counter products may cost less up front, but you’ll likely find that you have to repeat the treatment more frequently to maintain your results. The cost of buying more and more of these whitening products can add up, making professional treatment the more affordable option after all.
- Gentle on teeth. Professional teeth whitening products contain carbamide peroxide, a bleaching agent that is capable of removing stains and discoloration from your teeth without harming your enamel. Many over the counter whitening products contain abrasive materials like baking soda and even charcoal that are capable of wearing down your tooth enamel. If you have sensitive teeth already, you’ll find that professional teeth whitening won’t increase sensitivity.
Types of Professional Teeth Whitening Treatment
Professional teeth whitening treatment comes in two forms:
- In-office. This is typically a one time treatment your dentist will apply to your teeth in the office. A protective guard or gel will be applied to your gums to protect them from irritation from the bleaching agent. The whitening treatment containing carbamide peroxide is applied to the teeth and a special light is used to activate and accelerate the bleaching process. You’ll have dramatically whiter teeth in just one treatment.
- At-home. A custom tray will be created to fit your teeth that you’ll use to apply the bleaching agent. This ensures even distribution of the bleaching agent and greater comfort while whitening. You’ll apply the bleaching agent once a day for a week or two until you achieve the desired shade of white. This process is more gradual and easier to customize.
Choosing between these two options ultimately depends on your personal preference. If you want a quick one time treatment, in-office whitening would be better for you. If you would rather whiten your teeth from the comfort of your home, at-home whitening would be the better choice.
Queens Crown Dental Provides Whitening Treatment
We provide both in-office and at-home whitening treatment for your convenience. Whether you would prefer to have your teeth professionally whitened by your dentist or on your own, professional treatments are still more effective than anything you can purchase over the counter or online. Before attempting any teeth whitening treatment, it is best to have the health of your teeth evaluated by your dentist to ensure that teeth whitening is safe for you.
To learn more, call 808-526-2800 or contact us today to schedule an appointment.